At the International Organization for the Family, we are committed to just one thing: the truth. Before we do or publish anything, we always ask the question: “Is it true?” If not, we back away from it. But if it is, we boldly shout it from the rooftops. It is just that simple.
From what sources do we discern the truth? From several. From reason, practical wisdom (or “common sense”), the natural law (the law derived from our intrinsic nature as humans rather than bestowed upon us by political and cultural elites), science, and divine revelation. Significantly, each of these sources of truth support all the other sources. There is no conflict, say, between “reason” and “divine revelation” as the left proposes. As Peter Kreeft put it so well: “There is one God who is the source of all truth, whether that truth is known by faith or reason; and God never contradicts himself.” (It is important to note that while the Bible is not a scientific manual, no scientific discovery has ever discredited any major Judeo-Christian doctrine.)
And what are some of the truths that we boldly proclaim?
- The family is the bedrock of society and if it weakens, all of society weakens as well. As Article 16 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states: “The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.”
- Children do best when raised in a family composed of their married biological mother and biological father. Social science research on this is almost unanimous.
- All human beings have intrinsic worth because they are made in the image and likeness of God. (See Genesis 1:26.)
- While those who identify as homosexual are to be loved as they are made in the image and likeness of God, support for homosexual acts and homosexual “marriage” are affronts to reason, the natural law, science and basic biology (you cannot reproduce through homosexual acts), and the very God who created the sexes: “male and female he created them. And God blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the earth” (ibid, Genesis 1).
- Because God made it so, a man cannot become a woman or a woman a man, no matter what hormones a person takes or what surgeries a person undergoes.
- All of life is precious, that it begins at conception and should end at natural death.
- Religion and morality are necessary supports for successful societies. As George Washington declared: “Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.”
- Judeo-Christian Western Civilization, while flawed (due to the inherent nature of humanity), has generally been a force for good in the world. Indeed, among other things, it was this civilization that gave invaluable support to the notion of universal human rights and ended human sacrifice, infanticide, the slave trade, and slavery throughout the world.
Because of our strong stands for the truth, we are repeatedly savaged by our enemies: the cultural and political elites of the West, their pawns, and from among the Soros-sponsored foundations and societies. For them, the truth does not matter. Rather, all that counts is the subjectivity of “feelings” and the whims of what one “wants to believe.” Thus, if a man “feels” that he is a woman, he is a woman. If a woman “feels” that her pregnancy will burden her life, then the child in her womb is not a child but rather an inconvenience that must be eradicated. If a person “wants to believe” that children do equally well in non-traditional families as in traditional ones in order to assuage guilty consciences, then that belief becomes a fact, no matter what the research shows. If a person “wants to believe” that “love is love” and any combination of people can form what they deem a marriage, then the definition of marriage must be changed, despite the unanimous voice of almost all societies, cultures, and religions for thousands of years. If a person “wants to believe” that Western Civilization has always been a force for evil, then this becomes a fact; truth be damned.
In essence, our radical leftist enemies have fallen for the oldest lie in the world, the one told by the serpent in the Garden of Eden: that by ignoring the truth, “ye shall be as Gods” because you can create your own “truth.”
In order for discourse to bear fruit, both sides must have a firm commitment to the truth. But because our opponents are not so committed, we cannot have meaningful discussions with them. Indeed, instead of engaging in rational discourse with us, our opponents try to shout us down, to cancel us, to shame us, to do anything to prevent the truth from coming out. But we shall win this debate for the simple reason that truth can be suppressed for only so long. Darkness cannot overcome the light of truth. And our enemies know this.
So the next time you read an article on our ifamnews.com web site, know that you are getting the unvarnished truth. That is our commitment to you, our faithful readers. And that is the truth.