Last updated on March 22nd, 2022 at 06:58 am
In Ireland, as of November 2018, primary care physicians who agree to follow women who use abortion are reimbursed €450 by the NHS for each small life taken.
It is part of a deal struck between the government and the Irish Medical Organization. Dublin-based newspaper The Irish Times reported, “physicians who accept the new contract will receive a total compensation of 450 euros for three visits, consisting of a payment of 150 euros to cover the initial consultation with the patient and an additional 300 euros for the completion of the termination procedure and the provision of postoperative care.”
Easy money for a dirty job that, evidently, someone wants to do.
Fortunately, and contrary to what one might think, “the vast majority of physicians, however, remain staunchly pro-life, as reported by iFamNews last month. “In fact, 88% proclaim themselves conscientious objectors, while half of the hospitals with maternity wards do not perform abortions. The remaining meager 12% of abortionists equates, in absolute terms, to 405 physicians. The data emerges from research published by Newstalk magazine.
A few days ago however, another piece of data emerged; this time relating to the amount of money paid to the same general practitioners when they follow a woman who carries a pregnancy to term and gives birth to her child: 250 euros. Only 250 euros. A little more than half of what would be reimbursed if they killed that child, by the twelfth week of life in the womb and in exceptional cases even up to the sixth month.
To be precise then, in this second case (that of a pregnancy) there are an average of seven visits (not three, comparatively speaking) and if the gestation presents complications, more can be added. In addition, there is for the doctor the responsibility of two lives; that of the mother and that of the unborn child. With that, the workload for the general practitioner caring for a pregnancy is even more involved–for example, there are examinations and special checks to be prescribed, there is the psychological support of expecting mothers who may be feeling anxiety or fear which may require a few extra phone calls.
In fact, The Irish Independent newspaper calls the discrepancy between maternity and abortion “an absolute scandal”. In the testimony of Dr. Grainne Pinaqui, the focus seems to slide more to the organizational issues and the difficult management of the abortion service from a practical point of view, rather than on the meaning implicit in the figures that have been poured out.
In other words, it pays better for a doctor to kill a baby than to deliver a baby in Ireland.